What does the picture above mean to you? The sun setting on the horizon, behind such a perfect beach?
For me, the picture means complete relaxation. It represents that peaceful mindset I want to be in at all times — free from stress and most importantly, physical pain.
To get this peaceful mindset, relief from the chronic pain (which sometimes haunts us) HAS to come first. Otherwise, it’s almost like we’re trying to “fake it ’til we make it”, and it just doesn’t feel right…
The tactics listed further below will usher in quick pain relief. The nutrition methods here are not known by the vast majority of the public (nor are they known by many doctors), which is why so many still suffer.
Let me first go back, and recap things. Last time, I spoke of the ‘unknown’ dangers of prescription pills and NSAIDs that are often used to reduce joint and muscle pain.
We ended on an “action” note – we’re starting to understand that we can essentially cut out pain from the start if we focus on the root of the issue.
With that being said, let’s cut right to the chase:
You’re dealing with (or have dealt) with some serious, debilitating pain.
You wake up in the morning with stiff knees and what feels like a brick where your lower back used to be. You finally make it downstairs and decide to reach into the overhead cabinet for a plate. Everything is finally looking up (no pun intended ), until of course you realize that you can’t actually reach into the overhead cabinet. As a matter of fact, you can’t reach much of anything, being that your shoulders barely move from your side.
I hear you. As I mentioned last time, I’ve actually been there myself.
Throughout the years I’d developed torn rotators cuffs in not one, but both of my shoulders. I also slipped a disk in my lower back, which literally had its way with me. Bad shoulders is one thing, but being unable to walk or stand (or sit for that matter) without pain is a whole different story.
To complete the trinity of major joint issues, I developed hip bursitis and referred knee pain. This often still pops up today (sitting at a desk 12+ hours a day will do that to you), which is why I spend time EVERY DAY doing preemptive hip mobility and flexibility work.
What was the initial cause of all this?
- Years of terrible, misinformed eating (and obesity) — the resulting inflammation and joint stress did me in.
- Lack of exercise — my idea of exercise for most of college was moving from my recliner to go downstairs to the kitchen…funny thing is: I’m not kidding.
- Terrible form when I did exercise/was active — rounded shoulders, crooked backs, squatting with knees going way past my toes…the list goes on.
- No idea how to use supplements effectively — at the time, ‘using supplements’ meant trying creatine and fat burners to build muscle and lose weight, and popping Motrin every 2 hours to stop the pain.
- If you know anything about creatine, you’ll know that it builds muscle and can helps you gain weight.
- As for fat burners: they’re nothing but caffeine and clever marketing. I could do better at Starbucks, and not ruin my heart in the process.
- The Motrin and myriad of other pain relievers I used? Nothing but a convenient method to numb the pain, rather than dealing with it head on.
With all this being said, I was eventually able to find a way out, in what I see as a ‘secret method’.
When applied consistently, these unorthodox tactics helped me completely eliminate joint pain, lose over 75 pounds, eliminate fatigue, reduce what used to be extreme anxiety, and much more.
It worked wonders for me, and I know it can do the same for you.
As for my chronic joint pain, I estimate that I had a minimum 50% reduction in pain in just 3 weeks. And this was just from using the nutritional guidelines below.
Since adding in comprehensive rehab techniques and smart supplements (covered in upcoming posts), my pain has become almost non-existent.
What are the basics of the secret?
Glad you asked. It’s the whole-body wellness Real Food Solution, or more specifically its 3 main steps.
The fundamental 3 steps for complete wellness (and a really lean body:)
Step 1: Eating a processed-food free diet, a.k.a. EAT REAL FOOD.
Step 2: Doing (some) exercise! The more inactive you are, the worse the pain gets.
Step 3: Eliminating toxins and using all-natural supplements instead of conventional medicines.
This post will dig deep into Step 1.
Test this out for 30 days straight, and your pain WILL start to disappear (you usually start seeing benefits in less than 2 weeks).
Also, don’t be surprised if other measures of health start improving dramatically.
In other words: “You’re gonna like the way you feel…I guarantee it”. (My painfully un-clever adaptation of the Men’s Wearhouse commercials).
Introducing: The Real Food Solution, Step 1: Wholesome Nutrition
- Spend the first 30 days grain/wheat-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. That means no bread, no pasta, no milk, and obviously no cookies, you Cookie Monster, you. And of course no sugar.
- Restrictive? Yes.
- Effective? Absolutely.
- Eat the following:
- Meats/fish (fattier, grass-fed/wild-caught versions to nourish the body with clean, healthy fats and quality proteins)
- Veggies (excluding starchy ones like corn, peas, and carrots)
- Olive oil (for dressings, or to add post-cooking) (don’t use for most cooking, since it goes bad under high heat)
- Extra-virgin coconut oil (for medium/high heat cooking)
- Eat until you are satisfied. Don’t worry about eating too much – trust me, it’s hard to overeat when you’re chewing on nutrient-dense protein for example, as opposed to inhaling a red velvet cupcake.
- During the 30 days of this eating plan, you will be removing most food-based chemicals and allergens from your diet. Many annoying health issues, including muscle and joint pain, aches, and stiffness, will seriously reduce significantly. I’m not kidding, it’s that simple. Food has a profound effect on pain, much more so than is commonly understood.
- The steroid alkaloids (one of 4 alkaloids) in nightshades, which include solanine, are the main offender. They are a naturally-produced toxic substance that helps the plant defend against insects, diseases and other predators. (Very similar to lectins binding to glucosamine and penetrating our cell walls…and the plot thickens. More on this in upcoming posts.)
- These alkaloids are thought to cause calcium loss in the bones, and excess calcium deposits in soft tissue.
- As a result, there may be a significant pro-inflammatory response in the body.
- For this reason, if you have osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or any form of joint pain, it is wise to cut these foods OUT for 30 days.
- See how the body responds. Assess the damage (or lack thereof) and continue forward.
- After the 30 days, you can experiment with rice (and oatmeal and beans to a much lesser extent) to see how joint pain and other health indicators (bodyfat, skin quality, etc.) respond.
- Only if you are somewhat lean (under 18% bodyfat for men, 25% for women) AND training intensely, include white rice, sweet potatoes and/or yams during your post-workout meal. (For maximal pain reduction, though, I would still eliminate them for 30 days unless you absolutely cannot function without.)
(Note 1: The seemingly ‘extreme’ measures here are really not extreme at all. “Extreme” is feeding our body fake, processed foods 24/7 and expecting it to function properly.)
(Note 2: If you’re still freakin’ though, not to worry. Upcoming posts will tell you exactly why AND how these forbidden foods harm our bodies. After that, if you don’t want to follow the plan, I honestly can’t help you. When the tools are laid out for you, you have to step up and use them.)
(Note 3: Stay tuned for the details behind Steps 2 and 3 (exercise and supplements) of the Real Food Solution.)
Tasty salad! Protein, healthy fats, and veggies? Sign me up. (Note: In accordance with the 30 day plan, no tomatoes until you can ‘test’ their effect on your inflammation)
The Last and Most Important Points
Adopting patience and acceptance
- The lifestyle habits you’ve developed over the years got you to where you are right now. True, we’ve been lied to by mass media and big corporations, but we’ve also played a part in our condition. It is what it is. Accept this and move on.
- You now have a solution. It is up to you to implement it into your life. During this process, it will be difficult, but absolutely crucial to have dedication, discipline, and most importantly, patience.
I spent 22 years eating junk, not exercising correctly, and not nourishing my body well. I simply can’t expect the effects of this to all disappear overnight.
And you shouldn’t either.
I can promise lots of quick, early success including significant pain relief and much more. These results will happen as long as the plan is followed correctly, at least 85% of the time (for example, no more than 3 cheat meals or ‘screw-ups’ at most per week, out of 21 total meals).
FYI, in regards to pain conditions, you will feel it after a cheat meal. The rush of refined grains, unhealthy oils, and more take an immediate toll on promoting inflammation and joint pain. I would definitely try my best to eat as ‘clean’ as possible even for cheats: try some home cooked rice, butter, and chicken as opposed to ordering a deep dish, Meat Lovers pizza.
With all this being said: Beyond the early successes, for most people¸ there is more work to be done in pursuit of the body, mind, and life you want. Practice acceptance, have dedication, and give it time.
Until next time, stay healthy, happy and informed.
Sayan Sarkar, Chief Invigorator Extraordinaire